Just a quick snapshot of a fun second set that got me through some tedious home repairs today.
- the first show of the April east coast tour. Hampton. Yes.
- the east coast breakout of Help>Slip>Franklins. Baboom! I like how Phil drops a giant bomb @3:17 in the Slipknot jam to avert a possible trainwreck as they stumble into the closing melody.
- the jam after Truckin has very clear Spoonful and Smokestack Lightnin’ teases, then finds its way into an Other One jam, Jerry bails early, and Brent picks up the ball with some weird electric piano sound — nothing far out, but his tone reminds me of Sun Ra for some reason.
- the same kind of thing is happening in the Throwing Stones mid-song jam: 80’s keyboard haters won’t like it, but I think it sounds pretty cool. Go Brent! Nice climax here. Then it ends with a little transition jam: at 7:46, Jerry starts playing a little chromatic thing that sounds like a mini-Mind Left Body jam, though it’s probably just a clever way for him to get into Black Peter.
- a post-drumz Jerry twofer with Black Peter > GDTRFB. Well played, sir.